Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - How to avoid excessive use of the back leg, especially to initiate heel-side turns?
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinobiz19 View Post
Great tips guys! Quick question to liner or anyone else who wants to answer in reference to liner's post. What is happening with my back foot as the front foot is twisting? By stable, do you mean it's flat through the first part of the twist and as one works their way to the rocking stage, then the back foot follows to complete the carve?
Yes, in general

when just kinda free carving, I try and keep the back half of my board nice and flat and just engage my front edges, whichever one. For reference, my weight is still primarily hovering over my front foot(or maybe hanging just behind my front foot.) Keep your weight in unison with the board. You can still be a G and ride real far back if you want, but you still keep your weight as one with the board. Be one with the board haha. To me the hardest part of really perfecting carves(including the backfoot swing) is the weight. If you keep your weight balanced, and engage the turns correctly, as soon as you rock on your edge you can slow down, accelerate, turn, noseflip, 180, literally anything, all by flex in your feet, NOT your legs.

When you wanna do real quick carves in succession, you almost want the board to flex in a semi circle through the apex, how you achieve that would be a full on contour of the board you achieve from using say your front toe-side edge, and your back heelside edge, to initiate the turn lightning fast.

when all is said and done, if your ripping carves, your doing the "twist" for all of 1 second. Its a super fast technique that is soooo easily missed in the moment.

If you are familiar with a stick shift think clutch and gas, as in, give it a little toe action twist to start the turn then gradually follow with your back foot once the turn has been initiated.

You can also think of a roller coaster going through a turn, the front car leads, and the back car follows. after the turn the coaster has to flatten out before it can really enter the next turn.

Last edited by liner; 01-09-2013 at 01:35 PM.
liner is offline   Reply With Quote