Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Beginner Gear advice: 32s, Carbon Credit, Lotus
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
jtg
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by eware3000 View Post
Hi all. I'm currently taking lessons in Washington. So far I've only used rental equipment. I really love snowboarding and would like to buy my own gear.

Here's what I'm looking at:
Female, 5'7"
199lbs
riding beginner slopes on mountain

Boots:
32 Binary Boa or 32 Lashed Fastrack. I tried them on and they feel good. Not too stiff and not too soft.

I have not taken a look at bindings just yet. Suggestions??

As far as boards go. Should I go low level beginner like:
Salomon Lotus

OR beginner-Intermediate like
GNU Carbon Credit

There's about a $150 price difference. Just wondering if I'll benefit from the GNU since I'm a beginner.

If anyone has any other suggestions on boards or binding, please let me know.

Thanks.
I feel like there is usually no reason to buy those beginner boards (I don't actually know anything about that particular one, so I'm just going based on price point.)

For $250, craigslist is full of really lightly used higher end boards. People with disposable income seem to buy good gear and either go through it quickly or give up the sport.

For example, this guy used his carbon credit 5 times and is trying to unload it for $300 (might not be your size, but these deals are all over):

156 dark blue GNU snowboard

At the end of your beginner season, you can either keep it if you like it or flip it for basically what you paid and not have to worry much if it's the "one true board" you want to spend a lot on right now.

GNU riders choice used 4 times, comes with boots and bindings, for $300. That board alone retails for around $550.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/spo/3523013394.html

Last edited by jtg; 01-09-2013 at 12:45 PM.
jtg is offline   Reply With Quote