Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Beginner Gear advice: 32s, Carbon Credit, Lotus
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

and glad you're loving the sport! One thing you'll hear repeated over and over on these forums is that boots are probably the most important piece of gear when starting...

Try on as many boots as you can, and remember that they will pack out so they should be snug but not painful when brand new. Most people make the mistake of buying boots too big.

I personally like mid-range Burton bindings but you'll get various opinions on the forum.

As far as the board goes, it's not really critical at this stage, you won't notice the difference between a $300 board or a $450 board until you've had many more days under your belt.

The advice of buying used is good for first timer gear, just make sure you get something in the proper size (there are size calcs that can help) and I wouldn't buy something more than a couple seasons old. Check your pricing because used gear should be about 1/3rd the MSRP of new gear at the most. Half price is about right for gear that was purchased new but never used, even one day on the slopes and I think half price is still too much for it.

Have fun!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote