Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

NeverSummer SL? You Tell Me!

41K views 69 replies 20 participants last post by  powderjunkie 
#1 · (Edited)
I’ve been riding for about 12-13 years. Started in 1999-2000ish. I can handle a variety of terrain. I am 90% riding around the mountain and 10% doing tricks off of natural features. I don’t do the park anymore really – maybe a lap or two through it as I cruise around.

I am on the east coast and ride mainly hard packed snow .... man made snow (errr....ice), etc.. I do however take trips out west and when I do, I want to be able to ride the powder without struggling or nosediving. In fact I need a new board because I'm headed to Whistler in a few weeks.

Well the board I have had for a few years is a traditional camber – and that’s where my problem is.

I’ve always ridden a camber board – but I hit a rail at the end of last year and it broke the top sheet up off my board. I’ve read reviews where people had a hard time adjusting to camber/rocker/camber like Never Summer has. I’m just wondering what you think would be a good board for me?

I am 5'11 / 139 lbs, goofy stance.

I am seriously considering buying a NeverSummer SL. Is this the right board?

I want something that is:

Stable at high speed
Good on hard pack
Playful - because I do like to butter around while I ride, switch, press while riding, etc..
Good for powder (for trips out west) - no nosediving!

In short, I am more all mountain than just the terrain park. I like to hit natural features and be playful - all the while staying on runs. I don't know whether to go with the SL or the Proto or the Heritage or the Cobra... I don't care too much about graphics... obviously no pink fairies on the board... but the ride of the board is more important. I rather have a huge smile on my face as a graphic because the board rocks, versus some cool art photo on it.

Thank you!

See less See more
#55 ·
If you are planning to ride it on much of the ice coast when you come back from your trip, I would go for the SL, from what I have read the proto might get a bit washy on icy days out here, but it's just what I have heard. Haven't ridden any of them.

#57 · (Edited)
Well.... I demo'd both the Sl and the proto. It was my 1st time out this season here on the east coast. I rode the SL first and the proto second. To be honest... I felt the proto to be a bit stiffer, which I found odd. I was also really tired by the time I had to demo the proto so perhaps it affected my reasoning. The carbonium top was really cool... snow didn't stick to it as much as the SL.

After a VERY long time debating back and forth between the Sl and the 154 proto..... I ended up getting the 153 SL. It was a really smooth ride for me and I saved $40. It was also a bit less wide in diameter width.

The extra $40 I put towards a high intensity yellow lens - along with new Oakley Canopy goggles which fit my helmet nicely.

I have some pictures attached of helmet/goggles, the run I tested the boards on, and the board itself.

As for binding - I got Burton 2013 cartels on sale on a store near me. Hopefully I made the right choices!

#60 ·
Well, I don't mind the directional twin. It's only 1/2 inch or so wasn't it? The difference is so negligible to me honestly. When I ride switch, that 1/2' is not noticeable... I mainly got it due to price being $40 less, a nice smooth damp ride, and I found it to be more flexy/playful. Both were great. If the SL had a carbonium top - I would have picked it hands down in a flash without the long debate.

#63 · (Edited)
hello!

i use to ride a neversummer sl for 5 years now. i bought the board when i was novice and it help me to go to intermediate level.
i am happy with this board but i start looking more edge control (especially in black runs).
i saw 1-2 years before the new ripsaw and i was thinking of buying but on second thoughts i think i will loose a lot of the playfull and forgiveness of the sl plus it will be more demanding especially in the end of the day which the legs are not obey the commands :p

this year neversummer made the west . a softer version of the ripsaw ... does any of you rode it in some tests to tell me somethings about the board?

is it forgiving? if you compare it to the sl is it more stiff? if you compare it to the ripsaw what does it feel?

thanks in advance!!

#64 ·
West is definitely forgiving. It's a pretty mellow, but fun ride overall. It's been a couple of years since I rode an SL, but if I had to compare the flex of the West to the SL based on memory I'd say that the West is slightly softer overall, though relatively comparable. The West is noticeably softer and more mellow than the Ripsaw. I wouldn't call it simply a "softer Ripsaw". It's just a completely different board. If you're looking for a fresh update to your SL, but were happy with the SL, I don't think you can go wrong with the West.

#68 ·
Really? I was sold on paper. I was 110% sure I was gonna love the West more.

Exact opposite.

The Rip-Saw blew it away, for me anyway.

You won't be disappointed in either of them, but I don't think the Rip-Saw less fun.
Just a more powerful fun.

I vote for the Rip-Saw.

I am totally against twins & I still say the Rip-Saw.

TT

#69 ·
The SL is actually discontinued and is now known as the snowtrooper which I have. It's a solid board. I've done everything with it. I'm on the east coast too but I tried it at my old job on a gear testing trip which is how I fell in love with it. Very versatile directional twin board with rock/cam/rock profile and medium flex. It's got a low pro nose but it floats surprisingly well. Just food for thought if you like the SL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.