Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - The "goggles under/over the helmet" thread
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #34 (permalink)
Thad Osprey

Got a question for everyone on helmet tightness. Would there be a huge difference if I removed all the padding inside the helmet and replaced that with a beanie because the padding just didn't fit right but the beanie makes it fit so much better? I wonder if there is a scientific study on padding vs beanie in terms of influencing decceleration upon impact and impairing what the foam is supposed to do etc.

Seems like we got the goggles outside faction of the "taliban" posting on here and I would really like to see the evidence. Dismissing goggles inside as simply following the pros is quite an unhelpful stereotype. There is no "correct way" to wear them and goggles out can be really uncomfortable in terms of pressure points for lots of riders. I also find from observation (which is imperfect) that when riders fall, those with goggles worn outside have a higher chance of goggles displacing themselves opening them to injuries the goggles were meant to protect. Ever see those dudes picking themselves up with the goggles hanging off the helmet clip?

Moreover, the area where the goggle straps are when worn inside the helmet do not seem to impede the proper function of the helmet to an extent significant enough to impair the safety function of the helmet. If I had thicker hair at the side of the head 5 times the thickness of a goggle strap, am I more or less safe than the skinhead who wears his goggles outside?

And without clear evidence either way, it comes down to a matter of choice. C'mon people, this is a snowboarding forum. Leave the narrow mindedness for the skiers.
Thad Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote