Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Elbow dislocation... Ouch

6K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  vltsai 
#1 ·
Couple beers in and goin a tad too fast... Hit a little rise with ice, slipped, landed on outstretched hand, and had a hard time finding where my arm was at because of the messed up angle...

24hr shot from last night, even more bruising now up into the armpit

Quite a bummer that's for sure

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
damn man how long are you out?

I saw a chick at my local hill this past weekend walking down while we were riding the lift with ski patrol all around her. Heard one of them say she dislocated her elbow. As someone who has dislocated an ankle, I can imagine how much it hurt...

#9 ·
Makes me feel better about mine. I slipped out ona rail n arm got behind me. Could see in video it hyperextended. Xrays showed verysmall fracture. I rode for 5 more days but kept it simple til i could leave early w my friend. As soon as i left i missed 20 inches of snow in 3 days and iration n macklemre concert n sia in denver. But ur post makes mefeel better. Could be worse....

#10 ·
That xray is nasty...how did they get it back in?
You might be a good candidate for trying out whether vinegar actually helps fade bruising.
Get better soon and icccccce.

#11 ·
I've dislocated it before. Pretty severely as well - not from snowboarding but from wrestling. Went for a takedown and my friend slipped and fell on my arm, hyperextended it completely the other way around. It was pretty gross. Popped it back in, got an xray, and within the next couple of days, my elbow reached the size of a grapefruit.

1 week for the bruising to fade a bit, another week for the swelling to subside, by the 3rd week I was almost ready to ditch the sling. No rehab after that (I'm an idiot) so my elbow still slips out every now and then (it's been a few years). Get PT/rehab that ish so you can maintain full mobility and flexibility, and most importantly strengthen it when you can to make sure it's stable. You'll be pretty much fully using it in a few weeks.

If I could recommend anything for you to buy, it would be some kind of neoprene sleeve with an elbow pad at the end of it. For physical activity, it's great as it'll keep you from banging it on things. The sleeve will be tight and will offer some stability, and the heat retention will keep it warm. Compression keeps the blood flowing. I have one, and I have another lighter duty one that I wear whenever my elbow feels a little weird during regular days.

Take care of it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.