Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Upgrading Equipment and would like some advice
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 06:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
true_richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdsnowman View Post
Its hard to narrow it down to one or two brands. I like to think all mfgs products will do fine. Heck u can go in the park and destroy any mfg board in an hour if u wanted too..
i'll second this opinion & also agree with getting your board tuned with an 88 degree side bevel for a sharper ice knife.

icey conditions were a plenty on my local hill a few seasons ago, almost every week was an ice rink! i mostly road my burton floater, yes, a powder board. the extra length (167) helped w/ holding an edge down & cutting some turns vs. scraping around.

most recently i spent some icy days on my true courage 159cm & it did just fine.

but i've also ridden my 154cm store brand twin tip w/ 90 degree edges on ice - a frozen lake with just a 1/4" of snow in many places - while snowkiting. i was able to hold an edge fairly well, even with ~30knots of wind in a 9m sail. at first the wind would send me chattering down wind a bit on my heelside edge, but i stayed out for a 4 1/2 hour marathon session & was able to hold better and better lines on the icey snow - better due to working out ideal angles of attack for the kite & board directions.

just goes to show that pretty well anything, even while under additional load than good old gravity, can be pressed into holding an edge on icy conditions.

that said, pic a board that fits your riding style, height, weight etc best & then get it tuned up with an 88 bevel. 8)