Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Agonising avalanche rescue caught on camera
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
mixie
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
One thing that I think bears mentioning too is that until you are actually in the real deal, none of knows for sure how we will perform. It is easy to sit safely and comfortably in our arm chairs in front of a computer and judge.

I just took a basic class on beacon basics and doing practice searches in the beacon basin. Even though we were practicing doing rescues in small groups it makes you realize shit gets real, really fast. We had a group of six and by the time we got organized and started searching we were finding the beacons in under 15 minutes.

This was with a very experienced guide and the beacons weren't buried all that deep, not even 3meters. Had they been people and not beacons, we most likely would have been digging up bodies.

I know I won't be heading out on bc trips without a LOT more practice in the basin, and an Avy 1 class. AND with a partner I know has practiced as well.

The class I took was pretty close to where this incident happened (Thanks Eastern Sierra Avy Center!!) and our guide specifically talked about this incident and what could have happened had both beacons been buried. He really drilled into us that EVERY person in your party needs a Beacon, Shovel, Probe and the know how to use them at a BARE MINIMUM.

Every single person in the class was pretty shocked that a group would go out unprepared, however that's why we were all in a Beacon/Companion Rescue class I suppose and not being stupid out in the bc.

Last edited by mixie; 01-11-2013 at 11:37 AM.
mixie is offline   Reply With Quote