Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Agonising avalanche rescue caught on camera
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
linvillegorge
Veteran Member

If you get caught in an avalanche, you're already relying heavily on luck to survive it. No amount of gear or rescue experience can save you if you're buried 4 meters deep, get swept off a cliff, or smashed through trees, rocks, etc.

Honestly, if given an either or choice, I'd go into the BC with highly knowledgeable folks with no gear whatsoever than less knowledgeable folks with all the latest and greatest in avy gear. Obviously that isn't a required choice, just a hypothetical.

Avy gear is kind of like seat belts and airbags in your car. Yeah, you want to have them, but plan A, B, and C is to not need them. Avy gear is a bit different because it isn't all rescue equipment, some of it can double as evaluation tools as well.

Last edited by linvillegorge; 01-11-2013 at 12:16 PM.
linvillegorge is online now   Reply With Quote