Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - NYT Article on Tunnel Creek Avalanche
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
scotty100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post
i can't read this thread without stating:

a 16 person group is about 10 people too big. its a little boggling to me that it isn't discussed more regarding this incident because it is the largest single factor as to why it happened - imho.

the terrain is a straight-up terrain trap and it was after a big fresh dump.

i'm not trying to be a dickhole or anything here, but noops and people planning on/thinking about getting in to bc riding need to hear this stuff and those already savvy need to objectively take lessons from this. it really can happen to anyone, but there are reasons that this happened and frankly - there was too much stoke.
+1...when I first read that article, which I thought was excellent, what struck me was the dynamics within a group that size. All were apparently very capable, highly skilled, experienced etc. but what made them throw all their better judgment out the window and follow the main guy's lead like lemmings off the proverbial cliff? The snowboarder that turned around when she realized what was actually going on did the right thing but kinda failed to raise her concerns at the same time, which I thought was a huge mistake. In the end, I was struck by the fact that peer pressure seemed to override good sense and judgment. People ended up dying because some in the group didn't want to lose face, scared they would be perceived as "weak" or somehow less capable than those they were skiing/riding with? I find that inexplicable.
scotty100 is offline   Reply With Quote