Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Backpacks with Snowboard Carry System
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
killclimbz
Veteran Member

Beacon, Shovel, Probe and partner with the same should go with that pack. You don't belong out there otherwise.

If you are doing more than a quick boot up a ridge for sidecountry, I would recommend looking at a split. Snowshoes suck ass for all but the most basic of approaches. It also gets the board off you back, at least most of the time. Which also keeps you from having to deal with your board on your back in trees and tight terrain, which also sucks. You still want a decent carry, but it will be used a lot less than you would with snow shoes.

I find a 30-35 liter pack to be about the right size for backcountry touring days. It is enough room to carry food, water, first aid kit, shovel, probe, extra warm layer, extra gloves, and extra goggles. Not all of which I use everytime, but I do frequently enough. Water and food needs little explanation. If it gets cold or shit goes way south on you the warm layer could be key to keeping you or a partner from going Hypothermic. Foggy goggles and wet gloves such and happen in the bc. An extra set of each can make a day stay comfortable. Shovel and probe you just have to have. That is the last line of defense for your buried bro. Without it and shit goes south, your friend becomes a dead body. I have various other items, like a head lamp, and tools that I find handy from time to time, but I also don't always have them either. Depends on what I am doing.

If you are just exiting out of a resort for a quick lap, a 20-25L pack is fairly ideal. You can carry your basic avy gear, and an item or two that could be handy in a rescue. I'd probably have a first aid kit and the warm layer plus some snacks and water. That's me of course.

Last edited by killclimbz; 01-11-2013 at 01:18 PM.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote