Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Stance Setup - Centre of Board
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
EatRideSleep
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer View Post
Well, this thread has made me feel a little silly. My bindings are set perfectly straight. I guess that would be 0? Both of them. On my first day out I had back leg at 0 and front leg at some crazy ass angle. My husband set it up for me. Then I figured that I would start at 0 with both and start adjusting from there. lol Think maybe this is why my last lesson went soooooo wrong? Oops.

Clearly I have no clue what I am doing. Kind of wishing the instructors would go over at least a little bit about what angle to stand at. My very first lesson the instructor asked me if I rode regular or goofy....as if I had a clue.
That could be why your last lesson was the worst of them.

Not a bad idea in theory to set them up at 0 and adjust from there. But in reality, starting at 0 with both would be tough. Especially in lessons.

Now I don't know if any of these dry land ways to determine stance angles are solid guidelines or exact science but I've seen them mentioned here before. A couple I remember are:

-Jump up from standing, or down from something a couple feet off the ground, and see where your feet are naturally when you land.

-As mentioned above, do a comfortable squat and see where that puts your feet.

One that I've done is walk around normally and relaxed then stop without really thinking about it. Look down at your feet.

Those might give you a better idea of where to start. Of course, you may have to tweak the angles a bit to get a lock on what feels right for you when riding in your stance width.

Good luck!
EatRideSleep is offline   Reply With Quote