Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Battle of Resorts
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by longboardsrule View Post
Castle vs Fernie
Winner = Castle - Less crowded, All fall line runs, great wind sift, closer to home, know all the stashes

Louise vs Shine
Winner = Louise - More varied terrain
But Fernie has high speed lifts! I can't STAND non-detachable lifts. Most of my laps at Fernie are on the Bear, usually though the Lizard bowl or fall line right under the bear lift. Then I go off and do a lap up Timber, White Pass, Polar Peak and come into corner pocket or something to get back to the bear. Then a lap into the Cedar bowl and back to the Bear...

Gotta agree with you on Louise vs. Sunshine. I found sunshine boring. Louise just has a massive amount of different terrain.

Here's my thoughts:

Louise vs. Fernie?
Fernie - more alpine terrain, more glades, stuff that still gives me the holy shit factor (although Louise has a real terrain park, I'm not much of a park guy)

Kimberley vs. Nakiska
Nakiska - Kimberley has a HORRIBLE bottleneck at the base of the main lift, and although the back side is quite enjoyable, again the slow lifts have me sitting there watching my life go down the drain on the lifts. Nakiska gets me up the hill, so I can race back down.

Jay Peak vs. Tremblant
Jay hands down. Really relaxed atmosphere. Less French. Best glades in the east...

Jay Peak vs. Fernie
Different resorts but I gotta pick Fernie (Jay used to be my favorite). More extreme terrain at Fernie, same vibe, although Jays terrain park is fun too.

Kicking Horse vs. Lake Louise
I'm going against the trend here and saying Lake Louise. KH is nice, but again slow lifts unless you're doing gondola laps. Yay, 30 seconds of alpine terrain and a 15 minute decent to get on a 15 minute gondola. At LL I'll run laps on the Top of the World and I can hit some great terrain, a bowl, glades, groomers and a couple jumps all in one lap, then back on an uncrowded chair that doesn't move as slow as grandma moses...

So out of the resorts I've been at, here's my fave list in order:

1. Fernie
2. Lake Louise
3. Jay Peak
4. Kicking Horse
5. Nakiska
6. Tremblant
7. Mt Sutton
8. Sunshine
9. Kimberley
10. Loon Mountain
11. Mt. St. Anne
12. Stoneham
13. All the hills in Ontario that I used to ride on a regular basis (with Blue and Searchmont being the best)

Heading to Seymour, Cypress or Baker, and Whistler in a few weeks so I'll have to slot those in somewhere!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote