Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - 2013 union binding >HELP<
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Gdog42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
I dont understand where I lost you. Many argue that Unions toe ratchet being harder to release means it wont pop as easy. I was assuming that's more or less what Fanboy was getting at by making the comment he did about their funcionality, and giving an explanation as to why it's complete nonsense.
Sorry about that.
You were saying that the reason the Union ratchets are hard to release is because "The locking teeth are on an independent pin within the ratchet housing." The reason it's like that is so when the ratchet is released, both the lock and the ratchet itself are pulled up to give the ladder more clearance, rather than the lock only moving up like on other bindings.

This design can't be a problem because the heel ratchets work the exact same way but have a release lever, which puts enough leverage on the lock for easy release. The toe ratchets don't have the a lever, so the ratchet has to be pulled up at both ends on the outside and there's less direct leverage on the lock, if you get what I mean.

I think the reason Union doesn't have a release lever on the toe ratchet is because it's smaller and looks cleaner without one, but that just makes difficult to use and backfires on their idea of simplicity.

I hope Union will take more notice of these complaints and will fix this issue next season. All they need to do is add a little more material in the right shape and place to create a new mold for that part (a smaller version of the heel ratchet release lever).

Last edited by Gdog42; 01-12-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Gdog42 is offline   Reply With Quote