Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Are you sure ANYONE can learn?
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 12:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
firstx1017

Jennifer - if you ever got a chance to come to Snow Summit in Big Bear I'd meet up with you and we can share war stories.

I second the protective gear. My husband hit his head falling on the snowboard so he got a helmet, when I started snowboarded he told me I HAD to wear one. He fell and sprained his wrist that took forever to heal - so then he got wristguards and made me wear them.

When I started I fell four times in the exact same spot on my butt bone and got a hematoma - I self diagnosed myself but was not sure if it would go away by itself or if it should be drained I went to the doctor, sure enough, hematoma and she said to wear padding. So, I went out and got the padded butt shorts and that REALLY helped. I also had knee pads when started and that helped to when catching and edge and falling forward.

I started really slow - my biggest fear was I wanted to be able to be in control all the time so I spent a lot of time falling leave so that I could be in control and stop myself when needed. Everyone here feels that learning falling leaf is bad amd will impede your learning, but it made me feel safer that I was never out of control and could stop no matter what came in front of me. I fell a lot trying to go from my heelside my toeside and it was very scary for me.

Each time we came to the resort I would only board about 1- 1/2 hours before I was exhausted and would go back to our condo and try again in the afternoon for about an hour. When I felt like I was making some progress I ended on a good note! I started Thanksgiving Weekend 2010 and we came up to the resort every weekend and I worked on snowboarding for about 2-3 hours Saturday and 2-3 hours Sunday. By February I could toe/heel side down the green run pretty confidently and we took our first trip to Copper Mountain March and I loved it.

Best advise, if you are tired or exhausted - stop for the day. Otherwise, pick one thing to work on each day until you feel confident.

I also started on a cambered board and I did catch edges and fall alot. I got a flat 5% rocker board and I really progressed on that board. Getting a board like that may help you. I didn't fall as often, but you still can catch an edge if you aren't careful. I saw a kid fall in front of me and was so focused on him falling I wasn't paying attention to my own riding and caught a front edge and did a faceplant! Hang in there!

Last edited by firstx1017; 01-13-2013 at 12:34 AM.
firstx1017 is offline   Reply With Quote