Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Chair lift grease.
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 04:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
G Steezy

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSENALFAN View Post
I believe palmolive and a good wash has done the trick
Quote:
Great, I'll keep that in mind if God forbid it ever happens again.
DO NOT DO THAT OFTEN

I work as a part time snowboard gear sales associate, and have been doing this for three years, so please take my word for it. We deal with many major brands from Airblaster to Holden to Nike to North Face as well as High end brands like Arc'teryx and Icebreaker, so I'm VERY familiar with this stuff.

It's a good thing that it was only a spot wash and nothing major.
Gore tex jackets have a DWR (Durable Water Repellent) finish on the jacket that forces water to bead up and run off the jacket. This is extremely important in keeping your jacket breathable. Otherwise the water on your jacket will saturate and it will feel like you're wearing rubber.
The DWR This finish is removed by anything harsher than specific tech washes (like Grangers, Nikwax).

NEVER wash a goretex jacket - or any jacket that you want to last long, in your average laundry detergent. These detergents have one primary goal - remove anything embedded/laying on the surface of the garment. This includes the DWR so you DON'T want to use this. One spot clean is enough, but you don't want to do it any more than that.

Just keep this in mind for future reference. Always use a tech wash if you want your jacket to last as long as it's supposed to!

Cheers to your kick ass jacket!
G Steezy is offline   Reply With Quote