Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Are you sure ANYONE can learn?
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #25 (permalink)
chomps1211
Not quite reformed yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer View Post
I think the issue is honestly my lack of coordination. I have lost about 120 pounds in the past 5 months, I am still learning my body and figuring out how it all works...if that makes any sense.

I started with Burton Moto boots that I bought, then switched to a pair of Sims Omen boots. The burton boots were a nightmare. I couldnt even finish the lesson. I had to stop and then restart the lesson a half hour later. I have a pair of Union flite bindings, and am riding an M3 board I got at big5. I will get a better board if I ever make it off the bunny hill. According to the website it is a true twin reverse camber. I am 5'3, it is a 150 board.....because according to all the websites and the people at the stores we went to I needed a longer board to accomidate the fact that I am still overweight for my height. (not for long! Still losing quickly)

When I catch an edge it is usually the front. Honestly it is the helicopter spinning that freaks me out....and those falls always hurt.
Does anyone else here think that the "reverse camber" might be a big part of the issue? I mean jennifer has mentioned some real issues with boot fit problems,.. so if she's getting more than just a little heel lift, as was mentioned earlier,..

Wouldn't it be THAT much more difficult to engage her toe edge without biffing? I had that issue in the rental boots for my first few times out!! I'd lean,.. and lean some more,.. and a little more, without the board turning, (biting, carving to engage) then the board would go sideways, and WHAM!! Wouldn't that kind of difficulty initiating her turns, be harder with a RC deck,.. especially at slower speeds?

I't also seems to me that the "helicopter" spins, could get more pronounced with a reverse camber deck if a newb has less than proper weight distribution or technique!! Any validity to this notion? I learned on a regular cambered board! I rode the "back seat" & caught lots of edges sure,.. but I wasn't spinning uncontrollably down the bunny hills!!

Vet's,.. help me out! Am I way off in my thinking here? She obviously really wants to get this, but damn,.. as clumsy and uncoordinated as I am,.. I wan't bruised up like she's describing!! I'd really like to help if I can, and being closer to my first few rides (...and falls) than some of the Vet's,.. maybe I'm still more acutely aware of those sketchy first few rides & hard falls!

But I also know,.. I don't know all that much about the sport! So I don't want to make some flat out statement that makes things worse for her!

It's just that when she mentioned "Reverse Cambered Board" these questions immediately sprung to mind for me!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote