Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Are you sure ANYONE can learn?
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #26 (permalink)
GreyDragon
Fire on Ice...and Powder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer View Post
I think the issue is honestly my lack of coordination. I have lost about 120 pounds in the past 5 months, I am still learning my body and figuring out how it all works...if that makes any sense.
Jennifer, I'm confident that you have figured out your problems with snowboarding in that line above.

Lost 120 pounds in 5 months? My dear, you are learning your new body while you try to learn snowboarding. Absolutely you are getting used to controlling your muscles/joints in a different way from what you are used to. If you are still losing weight, your strength is probably not as high as it might be otherwise.

You've received alot of good advice in this thread. If you're fed up spending money on lessons for the instructor to watch you fall, Snowolf has kindly provided links to his online lessons. Use those and ride by yourself for a bit, or find another newbie on the hill to ride with you. DEFINITELY get some padded shorts (Skeletools and Azzpadz seem to be favoured by Forum members) and wrist guards. And yes, I would get off the bunny hill in favour of a moderate green run to at least make side slipping easier.

But don't give up. Once you get used to your new body, I'm sure you will enjoy using it in such a fun sport!

Last edited by GreyDragon; 01-13-2013 at 08:31 AM.
GreyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote