Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Strewth Bindings - New Speed Entry System
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Donutz
Drunk with power...er beer.

I'm a little more positive than BA, but you have to remember that he's got a lot more years in the industry -- and he reviews gear for a living. I'm just an end-user. And a tech nerd. Also I own Flows so I'm already a fringe nutcase.

Anyway, criticisms are more useful than compliments, so here's mine in no particular order:

1) I agree with BA about the base. It looks too thick and it's off-putting. If you can't physically shrink it any, maybe you can disguise it in the design.

2) My concern is that because the mechanism is invisible (unlike Flow or Cinch) I tend not to trust it. You're going to have trust issues, so you'd better have a damned good warranty and make a big deal out of it.

3) You're at a disadvantage for the North American market because of your location. You need to establish an American presence. Example I'd think of is Ruroc helmets. UK based only, mail-order only, and I won't buy one even though I kind of like them (told you I'm a tech nerd). Like a lot of people, I'd like to see one first.

4) On the don't-trust-the-mechanism front, these things will need to be publicly play-tested a lot. I'd be concerned about accidental release, either from snow pushing up the lever, jarring impacts triggering the release, or just hard riding forcing it open.

5) Ugly. I know this is shallow, and I know this is a prototype, but that's why we have Photoshop. Put together some sexy sample production designs.

I don't know how ready-for-prime-time your prototypes are, but you could consider sending a couple of sets to some independant testers like Snowolf or BA (if you can get him to stop laughing). Hell, I'd be happy to try them out but I have no rep so doubt that would help you much.

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote