Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Regional: New Zealand and Australia
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 05:50 AM   #101 (permalink)
KIKNIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by litebrite View Post
Will be heading to NZ in a couple weeks, flying into Auckland.

Which is the more preferred place to snowboard? I'm trying to decide whether I want to do Whakapapa and Turoa OR Coronet, The Remarkables, and Mt. Hutt. I can only do either the North or the South Islands for this trip.

I'm an intermediate boarder comfortable on blues.. not quite good enuf to be good powder or off-piste yet. Any suggestions would be great.
I have boarded both sides of Ruapehue, Coronet and Remarkables, so i'd like to think im fairly qualified to answer this. Out of those four fields the best for ya will most likely be Turoa.

Coronet is very icy at times, and I personally don't like the lay out to much and the runs can be very plain, but shreddin' the gnar is never boring right?

Remarkables is awesome if you're advanced, it has wicked chutes but is lacking a solid base at the moment. Though if you're into park they just opened up NZ's first 'Stash' run, which is a big draw card for me.

Whakapapa, can be terrible at worst and mind blowingly wicked at the best. You just good weather and Out West to be open, they have lotsa fun blues with awesome natural features.

Turoa, you can kinda see where I'm going with this. I cannot say enough about this field. I just had two wicked bluebird days in a row, and it was unbelievable. Natural booters, powdery chutes and park to boot. I love this place.

But I will have to say, do not leave out the Wanaka fields, Cardrona is probably the best boardin' to be had in NZ and its close to Treble Cone and Snow Park. Factor in Wanaka for ya travels.

Peace and enjoy.
KIKNIT is offline   Reply With Quote