Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Are you sure ANYONE can learn?
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #33 (permalink)
jennifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Jennifer,

Very few people really are in a position to be unable to learn to snowboard and that is usually do to either being seriously out of shape or a physical disability. Many of us did go through frustration in our first few days of learning to ride so that is quite normal. I never really considered giving up on but I will say that there was more than one occasion where I became so angry that I threw my board into the woods only to have to wade through snow to get it when I cooled off.....

I think the best course of action right now is to provide an outline of what your instructor covered and what he/she told you to do. Not every instructor is equal and additionally, group dynamics can be a major impediment to progression and that may not be the instructor`s fault. I have had groups that I flat just could not seem to connect with and as the coach, I walked away from the end of the session more frustrated than the clients; it happens.

I will be happy to work with you as I have with Vicki (firstx1017) over the course of a couple of years on this forum to help get you past this. Before proceeding, it is best to get a grasp of what you are doing and how you are doing it. I am not in agreement with a few here who are telling you to go to steeper terrain. While this method does work for some, it will not work for everyone and generally the last thing you ever want to do in snowboard progression is introduce new or more complex tasks and more challenging terrain at the same time. Stick to the terrain you feel comfortable on because you need to feel safe before you will be receptive to learning.

I would encourage you to watch my video of a typical first time lesson. The only real change from when I did this (other than I like to think I am a better rider and better teacher after 8 years of doing it) is the Falling Leaf. AASI no longer advocates this and I now totally agree with AASI on this.

Beginner Snowboard Lesson Part One
Skating, gliding and stopping

Beginner Snowboard Lesson Part Two
Loading / unloading the chairlift and getting up after strapping in

Beginner Snowboard Lesson Part Three
Sideslipping and Linked Traverses heel and toe side

Beginner Snowboard Lesson Part Four
Garlands and basic turns

Take a watch of this and then get back to us with a review of what you experienced in your lessons.....
Thank you so much for your response. I am feeling much better about things today (although quite sore, lol). I watched the videos and will definatly be trying some things when we go back up next weekend.

My lessons started with one foot strapped in, just skating along. Also being able to climb up the hill with board strapped to one foot. Next lesson was getting on the carpet lift and getting both feet in. Learning basic heelside and toeside turns. Ended lesson with heelside falling leaf. Lesson 3 was a disaster and a half. Went to the larger bunny hill. Instructor still had me on falling leaf because I was having such a hard time with it. But he was standing directly 2 feet in front of me the whole time, and I found it hard to work like that. I think I just had a hard time with his teaching style. Things like he would say "look that way" or "other side". What other side??? I really needed him to say left or right or down hill or uphill or front foot/back foot...something that had some sort of context and made some sort of sense without me taking precious time to figure it out. I also had no speed control and as I got going faster I would suddenly get scared and everything I had learned would go out the window. I would panic and end up falling. I would assume that over time there would be some auto muscle memory so even if you got going too fast your body would respond as you had trained it to respond...but I do not yet have that. So when a little high speed panic sets in my mind goes blank and I can not get my body to move in a way that is at all helpful to the situation.
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote