Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

All mountain freestyle setup

9K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  cawkLUVA 
#1 ·
Looking at getting an all mountain freestyle setup to ride at the various resorts around Banff, but also in the icy conditions back home in Australia. I'm 193cm(6'3"), 91kg(200lbs), have a size 12(US) Burton Rampant boot and run +15, -9 angles. I'd say that I'm an advanced intermediate and like to hit every natural feature along a run and butter in the flat sections. I don't go into the park very often and when I do it's mainly to hit jumps. Originally I wanted to get a 2013 Lib Tech TRS(159cm) with Union Atlas bindings, but I'm concerned about drag considering the waist width is only 25.3cm. Would I be better off with a NS Proto CTX (155cm) as it has a waist width of 26.1cm? Suggestions and advice very welcome!!:thumbsup:

#3 ·
Or a wide dark series in a 61 or 65. I'm about the same specs as you but like 4 inches shorter, and my size 12's fit really nice with K2 formulas on my 61 w dark series. No issues with toe or heel drag at all.
I reckon if you have high profile bindings with gas pedals you will be fine on most boards.

#13 ·
Just to clarify though, I rode the 57 because that was the available size at the demo tent. If I was making a purchase, I'd go with the 161.5 or whatever the next larger size is. 57 is fine for me on a park board (my Arbor Blacklist is a 57) but I'd stay 160+ for an all-mountain board to use outside of the park.

While we're on that topic... As Nivek mentioned, no the Blacklist won't be a great board for bombing. It's not super damp and although it's not noodle-soft, it's deifnitely on the softer side. Works great for "all mountain" here in the midwest where we have maybe 500 vertical feet, but on a bigger mountain I'd probably favor a burlier board. Then again, if you're looking for a "do it all" board, it's *capable* of riding higher speeds it just doesn't excel at that like a firmer, damper board would.

#14 ·
wow thanks for ll the replies, I've got a lot to think about! I'll definitely take everyones advice and go for a longer board. As Nivek said though, I think the blacklist will be a bit too soft for me. I'm currently riding a Sierra Stunt 159W and definitely feel like I want to move towards a stiffer board with better carving ability!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.