Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Need Somebody to help me!
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Brock View Post
Hadn't really considered/thought about it. Ive always thought about a coach just being there to get paid and not someone I can just ride with. I want to enjoy riding while progressing at the same time. Also price is a big thing for me too.

And that came out wrong in my original post, I just love the sport and I know its a hard thing to achieve but I'd like to make a living just riding and doing what I have a passion for. And if that doesn't work out, I'll definitely open a shop to spread the stoke to others. Sometimes I get too caught up in the mindset of needing to get better NOW or else I'll be homeless for the rest of my life. :P
You know what? Too many people think owning a snowboard shop and being sponsored is the only way to earn a living and snowboard a lot.

You can make a living from sponsorship if you're really good and negotiate good contracts, but you should know that if snowboarding a lot is your goal, there are a lot of better options that don't involve sponsorship.

Sponsorship is honestly one of the hardest and least reliable options out of the possible ways to earn a living and snowboard as much as you want. One injury and all your sponsors can easily drop you.

Also, don't open a shop just because you love snowboarding. You need to love business and marketing as well or you'll end up as one of thousands of guys who thought "I love snowboarding so I'll open a shop" who ended up realizing that passion alone isn't enough to run a business as they lose tens of thousands of dollars.

There are plenty of paths you can follow to snowboard as much as you want. For example, one of my ex-housemates is a graphic designer who goes snowboarding during the day and works from a computer in the evening. He gets 10 times more snowboarding in than your average pro snowboarder or shop owner.

There are a lot of jobs these days that involve working your own hours from a computer thanks to the internet. In my opinion those are the best jobs if you love snowboarding and want plenty of slope time.