Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Park City Traverses
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 12:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
firstx1017

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefutui2e View Post
Hey guys,

So I've been to Park City twice thus far on my vacation. The first day was a bit underwhelming, especially since our group got stuck with a massively long traverse back to base from the McConkey Lift. The trails were nice, but overall it just felt like any of the VT resorts, but bigger (flame on).

I decided to give it another chance today, and it was a little bit better. But HOLY SHIT what is up with all the traverses? Jupiter Access is marked as a blue trail but coming off the Thaynes Lift we walked a solid 2/3 of it because it was so flat. The trails off the Jupiter Lift were amazing, but then the mojo got killed with traverses on the way back to the lift.

The rest of the day felt like it was a mix of awesome trails and frustration whenever we hit a traverse on just about every other run. It happened a lot when we tried to get from one lift to another and it was incredibly annoying, to put it nicely. There were also a fair share of moments where unless we picked up A LOT of momentum we would've gotten stuck. It got to a point where I didn't even want to take hits off the side anymore because I was afraid of slowing down and getting caught on a flat.

Is there a way to navigating Park City and its traverses? I'm willing to give it one more try after hearing really rave reviews about the resort, but after two days of this I don't know. To be fair, whenever I stuck to one lift I had no problems with this (aside from the times where I needed to bomb through a section to build momentum). But I assume that would lead to an underwhelming experience overall.

Sorry if this comes off as a harsh review of Park City; it is an assload of fun but I'm genuinely curious as to whether I'm missing some sort of method of navigating the various zones or if this is indeed one negative part of an otherwise great resort.

Thanks!
We felt the same way last year when we went. And sometimes to get from one lift to the other to get higher up the mountain you had to take your board off and walk it. Canyons was better we felt, except never having to use a tow rope at our resort, we were at a loss as to how to work the one at Canyons as one of the blue runs has an uphill and set up a tow rope to get you up the one section to the top and we laughed hysterically as I was trying to work it - finally gave up and walked up the hill! lol I was afraid I was being videotaped and would be on YouTube for ALL to laugh at! And for the life of me I could never get off the Orange Bubble chair lift without falling! Each time the lift operators said you will do it this time and boom - fall - was too much of a slope for this old time boarder! lol