Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Steep and Cheap

329K views 1K replies 173 participants last post by  Canyonkid 
#1 ·
Ok all you sacaholics, here is the official sac thread. Whiskey Militia counts too. Any other deal, sweet site, whatever you find is good. So post up what you find, how bad your addiction is, and you'll find your support group here.

What's sac anyway??? :rolleyes:

#7 ·
killclimbz said:
Oh jesus, I might take that back. Holy crap that site could become addicting!!!
You think so? I've yet to see a screaming deal that I just couldn't pass up on Gear Engine. Although mostly I've just had it on and checked it a few times every hour, rather than checking it every time a new item comes up. I was addicted to Gear Trade for a while, before most of the snowboarding related deals ran out.

#1,056 ·
Their shipping is messed up. Do not use it, the all inclusive shipping is way overpriced. I sent an email to complain and showed them proof compaired to other companies that use UPS all inclusive (meaning taxes and duties are paid at checkout) and they agreed and say they sent it to the higher ups to see what's going on. If you want to save money, combine a bunch of stuff for 99c (I assume they are still doing that) get it shipped to Package Express and have them forward it to you. That's assuming you aren't buying something big. What's funny is, the price to ship a snowboard to Canada on WM is 65$ all inclusive (duty, taxes) and the price for a jacket shipped is $49. Just a little whack!

#11 ·
'Ol carvingrimdog seems to have it figured out for Canadian purchases. You should chat with him whenever sb.com comes back. In the US it's only like a buck more to go ups vs usps. You get a tracking number and ability to make sure you stuff is delivered with ups so generally I go with them for the $1.

#12 ·
killclimbz said:
'Ol carvingrimdog seems to have it figured out for Canadian purchases. You should chat with him whenever sb.com comes back. In the US it's only like a buck more to go ups vs usps. You get a tracking number and ability to make sure you stuff is delivered with ups so generally I go with them for the $1.
The shipping cost with UPS is OK. What kills Canadians with having things delivered via UPS or FedEx are the near criminal brokerage fees. These brokerage fees nearly double the cost of the original item making a deal seem more like a soaking. For example, I bought a Tierney Rides board from the US some time ago. The board was sent FedEx. The brokerage fees alone on the board was $70 not to mention the duties, taxes, handling fees etc. I had originally thought I got a good deal on the board; in the end, I paid more than MFSP on it. Lessons learned. Now I won't buy anything from the States unless it is sent via USPS because they deliver at the border to Canada Post, which in turn only charge around $5 for the actual brokerage fees. I sent Steep & Cheap an email asking if they would send USPS (even if I paid extra for tracking and insurance) and they flat out refused, even after explaining the brokerage delimna. So it is really unfortunate!

#17 ·
A good example of why I use USPS for shipping to Canada: I just recently bought a brand new Gnu Riders Choice for $280 US (that included $35 US shipping and handling via USPS). Converted to Canadian dollars it worked out to $302 Cdn. I had to pay $12 Cdn at the post office. I was afraid that they were originally going to send it through FedEx which would have nearly doubled the cost of the board and I would have only recieved it a few days earlier.

#18 · (Edited)
Slaughter, do you have any good friends in the states? I'm not sure this would be any less expensive, but you could ask them to order the product, have it shipped to them, then have them ship it to you via USPS/Cananda Post. I know it'll tack on more shipping fee's, but I doubt it would be +$70. Just a thought.

Back on track. I love sac. They save me lots of money =P

#20 ·
alaric said:
Slaughter, do you have any good friends in the states? I'm not sure this would be any less expensive, but you could ask them to order the product, have it shipped to them, then have them ship it to you via USPS/Cananda Post. I know it'll tack on more shipping fee's, but I doubt it would be +$70. Just a thought.

Back on track. I love sac. They save me lots of money =P
I've lived in Canada all my life and have actually ventured out of these borders for the first time this summer (Washington State: Omak, Wenatchee (sp?), Brewster). Granted, not far, but still quite an eye opener of how different our cultures actually are (99% of what I perceived to be American culture I gleaned off various media (television, magazines, etc). Ok, off track there momentarily, but to summarize I don't "know" any Americans (save the ones we communicate to in various forums, etc). Regardless, I would not want to put the burden on a friend to purchase something on my behalf, or else I'd have a ton of Vegemite from some of my Aussie friends, lol. Good idea though, thanks!

#23 ·
Slaughterhouse said:
I've lived in Canada all my life and have actually ventured out of these borders for the first time this summer (Washington State: Omak, Wenatchee (sp?), Brewster). Granted, not far, but still quite an eye opener of how different our cultures actually are (99% of what I perceived to be American culture I gleaned off various media (television, magazines, etc). Ok, off track there momentarily, but to summarize I don't "know" any Americans (save the ones we communicate to in various forums, etc). Regardless, I would not want to put the burden on a friend to purchase something on my behalf, or else I'd have a ton of Vegemite from some of my Aussie friends, lol. Good idea though, thanks!
No problem! I'm just tryin to help ;)

An oakley polo up now... how about some new mittens sac? I need mittens!

G
#25 ·
God I love SNC and I hate it. I have their desktop alert installed and most times it's good. Yesterday however they were selling some pink baby Ts and coworked walked over while it popped the alert. He was like "Why do you have alerts set up for the sales of womens tank tops???"

#26 ·
anthonybsd said:
God I love SNC and I hate it. I have their desktop alert installed and most times it's good. Yesterday however they were selling some pink baby Ts and coworked walked over while it popped the alert. He was like "Why do you have alerts set up for the sales of womens tank tops???"
The worst part is the more you try and explain it to them, the more they are likely to not believe you, lol :laugh: