Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

A few questions about my first board

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  SeanMcdoug 
#1 ·
Yes sorry yet another help choose my board thread!

So I have snowboarded a total of 10 days so far. 4 days in Big White, Canada, and 6 days in the French alps. However many years skiing, longboarding and windsurfing experience meant that I picked it up and progressed very quickly :)

So I'm going snowboarding again this march, and have decided to ditch rentals and get my own board! I know I want a primarily all-mountain board, but one that I can use successfully in the park as I found myself going there more and more as I improved.

So far I have narrowed it down to 2, the Arbor Westmark or the Ride Manic, although I am open to any other suggestions of course.

Now I know the Arbor is probably a better board, but I am on a budget (I am a student) and don't want to spend more than I need to. Should I avoid the more beginner/intermediate boards like the Ride? I know I have only been riding 10 days but I can carve down most runs comfortably and hit small jumps and rails already. I won't be able to replace this board any time soon, but only manage to get on the slopes 1 week per season.

Thanks for any help!

p.s been looking at the k2 auto uprisers for bindings? are these suitable?

See less See more
#2 ·
First off welcome to the forum. How did you like biggie? I've been riding there since 97.
Sounds to me you would benefit from a more intermediate/advanced board and bindings. I honestly can't really comment on those boards cause I haven't heard of them, but those are both good companies and you can't really go wrong with either. The auto upriser binding I'm not so sure about, I would say get a traditional 2 strap unless strap up time is that important to you, those one strap binding seem gimmicky and people often say they feel kind of weird, but they still perform well.

I would suggest looking around for last years stuff, or wheeling and dealing on current products especially if you plan on going next in march, by then you can probably get 40% or more on this years stuff. The higher end stuff usually is better, but I still had tons of fun on beginner gear.
If your getting a good deal on that arbor board and the autos I'd say just go for it. You seem to have a good idea of whats pretty decent.

#3 ·
I absolutely love big white.. used to go skiing there every year with my family :) Unfortunately I grew up and now have to pay for my holidays, So have to stick to Europe!

Thanks for the great advice, I think ill go for the Arbor Westmark, its £122 off at the moment in my nearest ski shop. As for the bindings, might take your advice and go for some with the regular system. Would a pair around £100 be any good? Trying to save money but no point paying up for something that isn't any good.

#4 ·
The thing with getting cheap gear is you don't really know what your missing until you get good gear. £100 bindings will probably be good enough depending on what they are, and if they are on sale ect.
I just got some K2 Formulas on sale for $150 which I'm guessing is pretty darn close to £100, so yeah definetly possible to get some great bindings at that price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.