Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - riding switch
Thread: riding switch
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 07:35 AM   #23 (permalink)
chomps1211
Not quite reformed yet

I learned to ride switch on a set back, directional twin, board. So when I was switch, the geometry of the board was different, shorter, stiffer nose etc.

I was lucky though because early in learning to ride reg. I had a problem where when turning I often would go all way round and end up switch!! I could ride it out straight & heel side turn back to reg, but it kept happening and I didn't know why! Got some instruction/advice about not opening my shoulders and keeping them in alignment with the board,.. paying particular attention to that & it worked. I stopped spinning round when turning!

The upside being, switch didn't freak me out! BUT,.. I could NOT do a toe side turn switch!! At ALL! Crashed every time I tried! I figured it was the directional board that was the problem! (...it wasn't!!)

I took a lesson specifically for switch, (...from same guy who helped with spinning.) Two tips made the diff. for me,..

1. Point my lead arm & shoulder into my turns! Just like when I was learning to link turns reg.

2. Flex/pull my bent knees together towards ea. other for toe side turns, causing my feet & bindings to twist/flex board's contact points for the turn,..

Flex/push my knees out, away from ea. other for heel side! All while using my arms and shoulders to point into the turn & keep my upper body in the proper config.!

if you can't picture the motion I'm talking about,.. stand on the floor, slightly on your toes, feet apart, bend your knees, now bring your knees together till they touch, now push them apart. That's the movement that flexes the board! once I could do that slowly and in control, I started adding more dynamic movement to my switch riding & turning!

I ride switch on greens and blues top to bottom on my directional twin now, and my new true twin?? Shit, I almost look like I know what I'm doing!!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote