Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Never Summer Proto Ct Sizing
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #23 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
Can you feel the difference between the Genesis and the autocant on the Cartel/Malavita?

Or are you missing an actual canted binding?.
I do miss the canting to be very honest. I noticed bottom of my feet get fatigued easier now. That could just be subjective though as I've been on canted for the past two seasons so maybe it's just something that was always there prior to me riding canting and it's just noticeable to me now.

Good thing is, my knees aren't affected. Burton makes good cushioning on their bindings so that probably helps. Someone did tell me that you can get autocant beds to replace the stock beds with one caveat: you can't replace the heel pads. Not sure how much that would affect the canting.

I love canted footbeds and will continue to support bindings with it. However, I am thoroughly satisfied with my Genesis bindings. The highbacks are simply awesome and the binding overall is very comfortable and super light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpen View Post
I read so many reviews about how well it held up at speed, which is why I bought it. But I just don't agree, I tried everything including moving my weight more forward, backwards, squat more, stand more etc, etc,. The only thing that really helped was detuning the tip and tale which I found to have too much bite causing extra chatter. Even though it helped a little it's still sketchy at high speeds unless your on perfectly smooth groomers. Any type of bump gets magnified on this board and I find myself popping off of small little bumps that I should be crushing through. I don't know how fast I go because I was never clocked and I don't really trust those GPS tracking apps for speed accuracy but my app says I ride around the 55-60 mph range. I have gone a lot faster on my premier, but the proto is not a free riding stick. But for me it's not really all mountain either. Although I will say its really fun in fresh pow. Again just not too fast.
The Proto is definitely a lively board so those bumps you are feeling are spot on with what my review stated about the feel. Admittedly, I don't have any long stretches of steeps here in MI. But I will say that every steep run I did was quite fast in upwards of mid 40's according to my gps. 55-60 seems overkill to me. I've done several boarder cross runs with mine too.

I find it plenty stable even though you can feel all of the bumps (I actually like that). If pure big mountain freeriding is your thing, the Proto definitely is not the board to get.

Sorry if this is a tip you are already familiar with, but constantly transitioning from edge to edge helps a ton with stability. That's how I bomb runs on my Evo. I don't stay on one edge long enough for it to chatter and wash out.

Last edited by Leo; 01-15-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote