Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Looking for some Board Guidance
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lamps
Veteran Member

Since you don't sound like a park guy I'd recommend the following from the burton line - I'm mid 40's same weight and shoe size as you, ride a lot with my kids who are 8 and 11 yrs old:

1) Custom X - high performance, great for charging hard, stiff cambered deck that will have good/best edge hold in ice. Reality check - you and your twin boys are probably going to be riding greens and blues for the next while so unless you can get out on your own a lot you won't have many chances to really open things up on this puppy, might be wasted potential, and maybe you're older and wiser now and don't plan on bombing hills like a madman anymore anyways.

2) Custom camber - a little softer, great all around board, camber shape will be good and grippy on ice. A little cheaper than the custom X too, might fit the bill without any wasted potential.

3) Custom flying V - all around board that will be more skatey and fun to ride, won't catch an edge as easily as camber. Might be a good choice for you, I ride a flying V board with my kids (Sherlock) so I can have fun working on tricks. You give up a little traction (not much) on ice.

4) Burton Antler - twin shaped flying V board with all the high tech in it, a little more fun oriented than the custom flying V. I demo'd one and really liked it, lightweight and really fun to ride. A little more expensive than the custom flying V, new board this year.

I wouldn't be too concerned about edge hold in the Flying V, it's gotten better in the last couple years and a lot of it is modifying your riding style.

Good luck, others here can comment on other manufacturers.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote