Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Are you sure ANYONE can learn?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #63 (permalink)
Donutz
Drunk with power...er beer.

Today up on Seymour, there were a couple of young guys, one was teaching the other to snowboard. At this point in the day there were 4 or 5 people on Lodge, cycling through the run and the lift (woohooo!) including me and these two. Anyway, it was obviously the guy's first day. He fell partway down the slope and did the dance where he tries to get up, the board slips downhill, he buttplants, tries to get up...

Anyway, even though his friend was not obeying ANY CASI system that I could see -- pretty sure Snowolf's head would have exploded watching them -- the beginner guy was getting visibly better over the course of the morning. Not going-down-the-blacks good, but he learned to get up, he learned to get off his heel edge, he started doing some basic turns, etc. By the time I left the mountain (they were still at it) he was no longer a source of comedy, and maybe even no longer a danger to himself and everyone around him.

The point is, you DO learn. You DO get better. You may not recognize it because you're too busy rubbing the sore spots, but chances are that the reason you're still falling is because you're now trying to do things that you weren't able to attempt before.

Yeah, that's me, Tracer Bullet. I've got eight slugs in me. One's lead,
the rest bourbon. The drink packs a wallop, and I pack a revolver. I'm
a private eye.
-- Calvin
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote