Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

damn weather!!

7K views 70 replies 26 participants last post by  pdxrealtor 
#1 ·
what is up with this damn weather. hasn't snowed in almost a week at White pass or Bluewood and dosn,t look like there is any snow anytime soon. this is not right. it's fucking january. wish there was snow at mt. hood or anywhere in the northwest. this year sucks more then last year.

Clear, with a low around 32. Calm wind.
Wednesday Sunny, with a high near 43. Calm wind.
Wednesday Night Clear, with a low around 32. Calm wind.
Thursday Sunny, with a high near 48. Calm wind.
Thursday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 33. West southwest wind around 9 mph.
Friday Sunny, with a high near 44.
Friday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 32.
Saturday Sunny, with a high near 40.
Saturday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 32.
Sunday Sunny, with a high near 40.
Sunday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 29.
M.L.King Day Sunny, with a high near 40.
Monday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 28.
Tuesday Sunny, with a high near 40.

and the snow is melting haha. ok im done.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know what it is about January in WA, but it has been this way the last few years. Early season goes off and builds a great base, then January rolls in and is a barren wasteland. Then along comes February, and BOOM! Shit goes off until May. In other words, January in WA blows absolute chunks for snow sports enthusiasts.

#6 ·
Believe me, I want it too. As for where I'm mostly at, Snoqualmie Pass and Alpental. It's where I have my pass and instruct. I'll ride any of the resorts in WA though if I have the money for gas and a lift ticket. :thumbsup:

#8 · (Edited)
Honesty, this inversion is pretty good for BC conditions, killing a lot of the super gnar surface hoar that has been growing on the clear cold nights last week.

Welcome to Juneuary in the PNW. Happens almost every year. Just give it a few weeks, winter will be back with vengeance.

BTW it looks like a possible return of snow next week. But who believes long term forecasts anyway?

#13 ·
As always, 3 days after I visit.

Two years ago trip to Tahoe. Snowy December, dry for 3 weeks, I get there, snow 5 days after I leave.

I'm a curse. You guys don't want me to come to your area!!!

Although last year it snowed pretty well right before I got to Denver, and right before I got to Tahoe.

No more planned trips for the year. I'm storm chasing.

#18 ·
Well I heard you guys had a great December, we did too down here in Utah.

But it is one of the weirdest Januarys I've seen. Single digit temps in the city, low 30's in the mountains, the storms we did get in Jan we had double the snow in the city than we did in the mountains....:icon_scratch:

But it's been one dry month, January is usually a wild card over here, at least november and december were killer, and I'm sure February/March/April will show us what they're made of...which is usually the sky puking non-stop.

#20 ·
Yeah, here in the lower mainland (Vancouver BC area) it's been very unusual. On balance it's been a better than average season -- we got so much snow in December, and such good weather that it makes up for a questionable January. Actually this January hasn't been that much worse than normal. This temperature inversion hasn't been as drastic for us as expected, i.e. it's not a heat wave on the mountain, just above freezing.

What's interesting to me is that I never paid much attention to this stuff before I started snowboarding (I hated winter too). I think this is the first big winter temp inversion that I've really noticed.

Still, I wish it would go away. :laugh:

#26 ·
Anyone been to Crystal/Stevens/Snoqualmie? Is it worth going tomorrow at all?

Based on the weather I would guess it's a waste of a trip, but first-hand reports would be nice. Snow is expected on Wednesday, but I'm not sure if a day of snow is going to repair much.

#31 ·
I was at Snoqualmie on Wednesday. It was about 45 degrees and full sun out. The snow was firm in the morning, softening real nice from about 11 to 4:30, then it got real cold, real fast, and everything froze right up. Soooo, if the weather trend is the same still, which it looks to be, then I would say you're fine if it's during the daytime, but I wouldn't be trying to ride at night right now.

#28 ·
Damn weather is right, not just the NW but everywhere is getting killed with high temps/inversion!

Here in Utah - Snowbird/Brighton (10,000') is in the mid 30's and rising quickly. Bluebird/Sun.

Mt. Baker, WA - (~5,000') Almost hit 50 degrees today. Bluebird/Sain

Jackson, WY - (~9,807') Is going to hit the mid 30's early next week. Bluebird/Sun

Mammoth Mtn, CA - (~9,500') Stuck in the mid 40's and seems steady. Bluebird/Sun

Silverton, CO - (10,000') Low 40's all week. Bluebird/Sun

The coldest resorts in the contiguous United States?

Big Sky, MT - (9,246') An average of 29 degrees for the last/next 7 days. Bluebird/Sun

Schweitzer, ID - (6,000') Hovering around 30 degrees for the next week. Bluebird/L.Snow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.