Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Now ipo
Thread: Now ipo
View Single Post
post #87 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 03:58 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by binarypie View Post
I'll break this down into pros and cons.

I love the kingping stuff and being able to "steer" with 2 feet.
I love the straps, even with my board hanging on the lift no pressure points.
I love how my heel fits in the heel cup.
Damping... holy awesome comfy.

The highback isn't adjustable at all other than forward lean.
The ratchets aren't as nice as burton's.
No toe ramp adjustment.

The big thing here. My Ions, SLX, and Driver X in size 9.5 all fit very snuggly into the heel cup and thus I get no lag toe or heel side. I always feel like burton ride a little loser. Even with adjustments.

However, this could be a complete deal breaking for people with other size boots. I ride the medium which caps out at 9.5. I think if I had a pair of DC or K2 or something without foot shrinking I'd want a large... maybe.

I have 15 or so days on mine and my ladders and ratchets are just fine. I have a feeling you need to adjust your straps more. You shouldn't be putting that much force into ratcheting or un-ratcheting.

On this note though.

I've thought about swapping out the ratchets with Burton ratchets. Just because I do like how the burton ratchet operates. Flip up to unlock versus that stupid button lever thing.

Perhaps the same could be done with the ladders.
Hi All,

I just bought a pair of the IPO, rode them for 2 days and agree with most of Binary Pie's comments.

My difference with his evaluation are as follows:
1) The Toe ramp is unnecessary (kingpin system provides leverage that toe ramp would provide), would be redundant and add weight.
2) The plastic used for the straps/ladders are made of a softer plastic that can get chewed up if the toe cap (and ankle strap) is not setup correctly.

Note: the following has not been discussed.
1) The toe strap that anchors the toe cap to the binding needs to be modified in order to remove/replace the toe cap. This can easily be done with a box cutter; just shave some of the plastic from the end of the toe strap.
2) When the bindings are new out of the box, the strap attached/secured to the toe cap is threaded into the leather toe cap cover. I backed the strap out and slid the toe cap further down to properly adjust the toe cap.

Hope this help - Nito