Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Now ipo
Thread: Now ipo
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #87 (permalink)
Nito

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarypie View Post
I'll break this down into pros and cons.

Pros:
I love the kingping stuff and being able to "steer" with 2 feet.
I love the straps, even with my board hanging on the lift no pressure points.
I love how my heel fits in the heel cup.
Damping... holy awesome comfy.

Cons:
The highback isn't adjustable at all other than forward lean.
The ratchets aren't as nice as burton's.
No toe ramp adjustment.

The big thing here. My Ions, SLX, and Driver X in size 9.5 all fit very snuggly into the heel cup and thus I get no lag toe or heel side. I always feel like burton ride a little loser. Even with adjustments.

However, this could be a complete deal breaking for people with other size boots. I ride the medium which caps out at 9.5. I think if I had a pair of DC or K2 or something without foot shrinking I'd want a large... maybe.

I have 15 or so days on mine and my ladders and ratchets are just fine. I have a feeling you need to adjust your straps more. You shouldn't be putting that much force into ratcheting or un-ratcheting.

On this note though.

I've thought about swapping out the ratchets with Burton ratchets. Just because I do like how the burton ratchet operates. Flip up to unlock versus that stupid button lever thing.

Perhaps the same could be done with the ladders.
Hi All,

I just bought a pair of the IPO, rode them for 2 days and agree with most of Binary Pie's comments.

My difference with his evaluation are as follows:
1) The Toe ramp is unnecessary (kingpin system provides leverage that toe ramp would provide), would be redundant and add weight.
2) The plastic used for the straps/ladders are made of a softer plastic that can get chewed up if the toe cap (and ankle strap) is not setup correctly.

Note: the following has not been discussed.
1) The toe strap that anchors the toe cap to the binding needs to be modified in order to remove/replace the toe cap. This can easily be done with a box cutter; just shave some of the plastic from the end of the toe strap.
2) When the bindings are new out of the box, the strap attached/secured to the toe cap is threaded into the leather toe cap cover. I backed the strap out and slid the toe cap further down to properly adjust the toe cap.

Hope this help - Nito
Nito is offline   Reply With Quote