Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Wintergreen Resort, Virginia: Worth it to ride tomorrow?
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
stuttering stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpajamas View Post
@stuttering stan

i'm assuming you've been to wintergreen before. you really think they'll open up most of the trails. they only have 6 open today, somehow i don't think they're going to get enough coverage to open up even half of their trails even with improved snowmaking technology. or i'm just really underestimating what that technology is capable of nowadays.

any opinions of wintergreen in general? i've been to snowshoe which is decent, but i'm assuming wintergreen is about half that size.
I was at WG in early January. They were mostly open and blowing the closed trails at that time.
They only have 6 open today for a few reasons 1. They are expecting a light crowd today so they opened the minimum. 2. They will blow the closed trails day and night to recover from the warm days. 3. To prepare for the holiday weekend by blowing as much as they can.
Snowmaking combined with tonight's natural snow will make for great conditions tomorrow and into the weekend.
I think you are underestimating their new capabilities. The new water tank cuts in half the time needed to cover the mountain.
Here's my honest opinion of WG- it's a good intermediate mountain. It's facilitities are somewhat dated. There are a handful of fun blue/ black trails.
WG gives good value for the ticket prices.

WG is about 1/2 the size of Snowshoe. You get what you pay for. If you think Snowhoe was decent, then WG may be somewhat depressing for you. But, it is all we have around here so make the best of it.
stuttering stan is offline   Reply With Quote