Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Canadian Virgin

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  poutanen 
#1 ·
No i'm not Canadian. I hope that settles any questions you may have RE: Title.

First trip to Canada and looking for feedback and suggestions:
-Party in Banff for 10 days
-Bus to Revelstoke check out the vertical beast for 5 days
-Bus to Whistler....because it's Whistler... for 10 days
-Do some trout fishing on my way to Vancouver. 2 days
-Party in vancouver 3-5 days
Hostels all the way...

Questions include:
-Is 5 days enough in Revelstoke?
-Is Whistler all it's cracked up to be?
-I've heard good things about Fernie, do i take the detour?
-On the route of Banff-Rev-Whistler are there any resorts or cultural thingies I should check out?
-Will i have to book hostels in the ski resorts or can i just rock up?

Cheers!

See less See more
#2 ·
wish I had that much time off! Revy is sick, but so much time in Banff? I'd cut a day or two out of there, if it were me. Hit Kicking Horse for a day or two on your way to Revy. If the snow is good, it's really awesome (go mid-week if possible).

#4 ·
Well knowing the towns that are near Revy and Kicking Horse I imagine that the night life blows in both locations. I haven't been to either hill to be honest, but I lived in the interior of BC my entire life. My best guess is both those hills are about riding hard awesome steep terrain, not partying. Not to say that there isn't a cool hang out, just wouldn't expect it to be a high light.

#7 ·
Doing something similar over the next few months, but in the opposite direction, so I'll post up about it once it's done - hopefully you can take something from that.

In the meantime, I can say: yes, Whistler is all it's cracked up to be; there is no real nightlife in Revy, but you won't care; and I'm making a point of hitting KH. From what I know of the place, having not yet been, you shouldn't miss out on it while passing that way.

#9 · (Edited)
RagJuice, i'll be in touch. Good luck with your trip!
poutanen, how long in advance would you suggest? 3 days before when i'm over there, 1 month? 2 months?

I think the moral of the story is....hit up KH and RMR, which is ok with me...:yahoo:

Would anyone like to advocate that fernie is worth the few extra hours on a bus?
TBH i'm running out of time and money on my trip but i want to do it while i'm there if it's worth it

#10 ·
poutanen, how long in advance would you suggest? 3 days before when i'm over there, 1 month? 2 months?

Would anyone like to advocate that fernie is worth the few extra hours on a bus?
TBH i'm running out of time and money on my trip but i want to do it while i'm there if it's worth it
Fernie is 100% worth the trip as long as the snow is decent. I prefer it to all other mountains I've hit around here.

Depends on what time of year your trip is in. Non-peak season you should be able to book the hostels a few days before you go, peak season you'll want to book at least a week in advance, if not more. If people see a big snow dump heading for Fernie things book up.

#12 ·
Each place seems to have their own specialty. This all depends on snow but:

- Fernie has probably the largest quantity of glades, and a great helping of chutes, cliffs, etc.
- Nakiska has fantastic grooming, and their park looks better this year
- Lake Louise has the best park in the area, except maybe COP but that doesn't count for me
- Sunshine usually gets larger snow dumps, and it's got a wide variety of terrain
- Kicking Horse has chutes, chutes, and more chutes, other than that I didn't think it was as good as the hype
- Revelstoke has lots of Vert (biggest in NA of course), but other than that I've heard it's not amazing, good but not amazing
- I'll be heading to whistler in a few weeks so can report back then

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.