Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - A bunch of reviews for you guys
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
BurtonAvenger
Veteran Member

71. 162 K2 Gyrator (07/08) with K2 Auto Evers (08/09)

Stance: 22.5 wide with 18 negative 15 goofy

Boots: K2 T1 DBís

Conditions: Sun baked Baker pow pow and some drops

One Word: Arc

This thing is a fun board, donít get me wrong, but I donít like to constantly have to fight to stay centered on something. With the way that I do ride when I drop something or charge a line, I get a little front heavy. K2ís rocker on this board usually puts me up into a nose butter and I feel like Iím going to go ass over teakettle. Granted you can really raise the nose out of the snow, which is just ridiculous, I sometimes felt like the flat spot between the bindings was catchy in POW. After riding NS boards for so long this thing just doesnít feel as stable, its light, but I just didnít feel that stable. Edge hold was decent on groomed stuff, off bigger drops I did get a bit sketched out that it was over flexing. The bindings are absolutely sick though, its like they took everything that I liked about the Formulaís and the Autoís and crossbred them together. Its such a solid binding, with 0 pressure points, and a great flex for someone that wants a stiffer flexing all mountain binding. Coupling the harshmallow in the boots with the bindings it did dampening a great amount.

72. 156 K2 Turbo Dream (Kamp K2 Ltd edition) with K2 Formulaís

Stance 22.5 with 18 negative 15 goofy

Conditions: Heavy POW, groomers, sunny

One Word: Limp

This thing was just retardedly too soft for me. I liked the other TD I rode but this one just felt too soft. Right off chair 2 at Baker I strapped up and decided to go head over to Chair 8. I threw it into a nose butter and the rocker was just too much it over exaggerated what I wanted to do and I caught my front edge and scorpioned. Popping on this board was ok but Iíd rather have a Jibpan underneath me. Switch was ok but getting up to speeds I sometimes felt like I was going to eat it hard. In the POW this didnít do as well as the Gyrator, which disappointed me, but then again it was a 156. In the natural half pipe I was doing little poppers no problem on it.

73. 160 K2 Darkstar wide with Cinch CTSís (08/09)

Conditions: Groomers, chunked up POW, sunny

One word: Blah

Now this board replaces the Afterblack only in name. Essentially it was just the progression of a super fun, poppy, snappy, lively all mountain twin. This board was far from this past seasons Afterblack that really disappointed me. What minor changes it underwent just werenít that great, it just didnít seem as lively. In POW it was fine but still felt like I had to sometimes man handle it through turns and what not. On groomers the edge hold seemed to not grip as well as Iíd have liked and did wash out once. The bindings just straight up sucked donkey dick. The straps were horrid; I just didnít feel like I was getting the support I really wanted from them, the cable kept popping out of the harness hold on the back. These bindings are for the casual rider that wants comfort and ease not performance. Theyíre also ridiculously heavy which is surprising since some of my set ups are highly heavy.

74. 151 Never Summer SL Rocker (08/09) with K2 Formulaís

Conditions: Sunny Blue skies, groomers, park

One Word: Jibber

This board was so small I could just pop onto anything and jib it. The rocker makes holding press stalls on things so easy and popping out is wickedly fun. I only rode this 151 to see if there was a flex issue, there was. I have another 151 sitting at the shop I need to get on this week to just compare it. But for the most part this thing was a sick little jib stick, I might have to cave in to the retardedly small jib board fade and get one.

75. 151 Rome Graft with Rome 390ís

Stance: 24ish inches 15 negative 15

Boots: Vans Fargo Boas size 10

Conditions: Snowy but was leaving a long ass cat track

One word: Soft

I only rode this because the guys and me switched it up. So I rode this little press machine down a like 6 mile run out cat track at Beaver Crotch. I couldnít carve this thing to save my life, but I could do butter spins till the cows came home. Thatís all this board was for me a little butter, bonker, jibber board nothing more. Had decent pop for its size but then again I donít like things this small.
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote