Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Alaska or Switzerland?
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008, 12:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kyle09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
I have not been to Switzerland so I cant make a true comparrison. What I can say is that last Christmas I spent 8 days in Alaska riding/teaching at Alyeska and it was the most kick ass place to ride I have experienced. Keep in mind though that this a place to free ride; when I was there they had no park set up (plenty of great natural features to get funky on which I like better) The night riding is phenomenal and the scenery just is jaw dropping! Very little crowds and Alaska locals are super chill. The only negative I can say is that since parks don`t seem to be a big priority, many of the locals don`t understand park ettiquete and do not wait thier turn to hit a feature so it can be a bit dicey and don`t expect the other guy to yield any right of way. The snow is almost always kick ass by Christmas and the North Face off chair 6
is just out of this world with nearly 2000 verticle feet at 40 plus degree pitch.

Anchorage is a great town and if you do go there take one night to hit the original Alaskan Buch co...
Thanks for the info! I did some research on alyeska last night and the base there is only 250ft!

burtonavenger, I am looking for more backcountry type boarding with fresh powder vs. a place all thrashed up & all icy with people everywhere.
I am leaning toward alaska because I have herd that switzerland is alot like colorado, and I just want to try somewhere new.