Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - PSA: Canadian Cartel has Ortovox branded gear on sale
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
ShredLife
The Rooster King

200cm probe is too short and unacceptable in any situation, any snowpack imo.

the grizzly II is kinda meh. i don't like that there is not really a collar - i really don't like that you can't remove the blade, but if you have a larger pack i suppose it might be ok

the pro aluma ii is fucking rad. i used the pro aluma 1 for years but it has a circular shaft and it ended up collapsing a little and getting sticky so it stays in the car now... they fixed the shaft on the II

the beacons - you'll get alot of people saying that the f1 is old and sucks compared to modern beacons. i have and still use an f1 and if you know how to use it (which is easy to learn) its no problem. the feedback is mostly auditory and is more difficult to deal with multiple burials than a new +3 or mammut or whatever - but in some ways the feedback is a little more natural... i'm not going to sit here and say buy it but i wouldn't say 'no matter what don't'.

the patroller digital is a digital verson of the f1 it looks like, so same type of mostly auditory feedback - the problem in some cases with digital beacons is the range is compromised - the pat. dig. is only 40m and keep in mind that its on the radio wave arc, not a straight line. i like to have more range than that and if you're going for a modern beacon you should get one with mutli-burial special goodness.
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote