Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Anyone have issues with their heel bone?
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
lonerider
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevano View Post
I broke my left heel (calcaneus) 11 years ago and have subtalar arthritis as a result. My ankle gets more and more sore as the day goes on to the point where it eventually feels like nothing is there.

I've started riding switch more to help (i'm regular footed), but am curious if anyone else on the board has gone through this? If so, how have you managed? Did you change your style at all?

At 33, I refuse to let this keep me from riding. But I had a major setback Sunday (couldn't walk after I pulled my boot off), so I feel like it may be time to try something different...other than not snowboarding of course
I would recommend trying EPAT (Extracorporeal Pulse Activation Therapy). I know that name sounds ridiculous (I think they made that up just so the acronym became EPAT), but it really works. I've tried most physical therapy treatments (electric simulation, ultrasound, cold laser, etc) and most of those didn't do much for me and I discard them without a second thought, but this one works well for me. It send shockwave pulses through your tissue, break tough/fibrous scar and connective tissue. I found really helps break up the tough stuff on the soles of your feet and around your ankle joint which prevent it from hinge-ing correctly. Check local podiatrists in your area as some of them might have gotten this machine.

I won't lie... it can sting a bit (like when a dentist zings a nerve in your tooth)... but the results are pretty noticeable, especially for people with flat feet and plantar faciitis.

This is what is looks like

Last edited by lonerider; 01-18-2013 at 04:55 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote