Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - NY Times Article: Has Snowboarding Lost Its Edge?
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 01:05 AM   #46 (permalink)
RockyMTNsteeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Summit County isn't hitting the numbers it was just three years ago. The pinch is being felt up here. My building had it's first foreclosure and I got to see a forced eviction by the sheriff this summer.

Businesses that haven't adapted are seeing numbers off by more than 40%.
3 years ago we had snow. Snow brings a lot more people out. Just 3 years ago I was often walking out to my truck in the morning with a shovel in knee deep snow. The brush on my ice scraper did not cut it.

Back to the subject.

I don't contribute much in snowboard company profits. I have not bought a current season snowboard ever except one I proformed. I bought a used board this season, and have not bought any new snowboarding stuff for this season, except discounted boots. All of my stuff is either old or was bought very cheap. I had some of the most beat up looking equipment until I recently replaced boots, jacket, and started riding the new board.

I am poor, but I ride about 3-5 days a week. I can get to the mountain for free because of the bus and spend 0 dollars snowboarding. I never spend any money at the resort, except for some independent village businesses. I eat all their granola bars and drink the free cider. I probably cost them money. I have like 50 days thus far, so I have rode my monies worth on my 500 dollar pass. I worked 2 jobs in the summer and was working 60 hours a week for about a month, got a pass. the edge is there for me.

The snowboard companies need to rethink their marketing. I know so many people in my ski town who have children who never have been on the mountain. Maybe companies should start contributing to programs that introduce school age children to snowboarding in ski towns. There's so many kids in my neighborhood. Since a lot of these children are dependents for Vail employees, they already have a pass, but don't have equipment. They recently removed the school's ski/ride program too. A lot of the young adults who grew up here do not ski or snowboard.

I skied and rode when I was young and probably would not be snowboarding now if I never went as a child.

You would be surprised to find out how many people live in mountain towns actually don't ski or snowboard. A lot of people hate us snowboarders. So their kids don't either.

Another thing is young people might be spending all their money on all these fancy touch screen devices and technologies. Since I spend all my extra money on snowboarding, I have a 4 year old duct taped notebook computer. Can't buy no computer, dropped my tax return on a pass.

IT AINT EAZY BEIN STEEZY
RockyMTNsteeze is offline   Reply With Quote