Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - NY Times Article: Has Snowboarding Lost Its Edge?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #50 (permalink)
t21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Where I ride on Mt. Hood, I am seeing a huge decrease in the crowds overall. While we are not having anything other than a mediocre winter, even on epic powder days, it is now rare for all parking lots to fill when just a few years ago, people were being turned away on peak days.

Now there is something I am seeing in my coaching activities that does seem to support the author`s opinion. In area ski schools, there is a HUGE increase in demand for ski lessons and a drop off for snowboard. I have never seen so many snowboard instructors having to cross train into skiing just to get work. Area resorts are paying their snowboard instructors to take ski lessons and are giving them free season rentals to free ski more to get more proficient at skiing so they can teach to higher level skiers. I am definitely seeing a noticeable trend favoring skiing over snowboarding for new people getting into snow sports.
question,would you do it if they ask you? i've seen more new people go for ski lessons than snowboard except yesterday, the bunny hill was full of riders and i thought that was cool.
FUSE-AT
t21 is offline   Reply With Quote