Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Spins Help
Thread: Spins Help
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
rasmasyean
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslan. View Post
I've been trying to do spins lately, and things havent been going well. I know how to do them, I just can't. I seem to freeze up while in the air, or can't finish the turn. This happens a lot when I try to 180 off boxes and such (even though I can easily just air to fakie on the snow), but I can more or less control the 180. Any tips?
It sounds like you're not entering the aerial with enough spin. The 2 basic ways to 180 is via rotation and via counter-rotation. You body in the air can't spin by itself. So it needs help.

Rotation - you INITIATE the spin while you're still on the ground. With proper timing, your body will rotate 180 while you're in the air before you land.

Counter-Rotation - you twist your body and arms arround 90 degrees before the air. While in the air, you release the twist 180 in the opposite direction...and your board will rotate opposite of that 180. This applies the Law of Conservation of Momentum. Because your top mass rotates 180 while your bottom mass rotates -180. Actually, that's simplified for understanding, but it really depends on your specific upper body how much you have to rotate to get the bottom half to rotate -180.

When you're good enough, you can mix both techniques while in the air to make it more acurate or perform this trick called a "Shiftie".

Last edited by rasmasyean; 01-20-2013 at 05:24 PM.
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote