Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Utah trip in March
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Utah trip in March

Hi - I am planning a trip to Utah in mid-March and have a couple questions about it if anyone has some opinions. I am from Ontario and never been out West - only Quebec (mainly Tremblant) and Vermont (Stratton). So I am really excited to get some actual powder rather than ice and chop all day! (planning on Solitude for sure, deciding between The Canyons, Snowbird, and Snowbasin - one or two of those).

First question - I am curious about whether I will find the transition difficult - I am used to groomers, hard pack with a light dusting of snow on top, and ice/chop. On days with "a lot of snow" around here it seems to be really heavy and hard to cut through - I find myself getting tossed around quite a bit, almost like going over mini moguls (it gets chopped up by people turning pretty quickly). Will I have this problem in Utah, or will it be easier because the powder is much lighter?

Second question - are the runs graded similarly to the hills around here? I can go down anything at Tremblant no problem (I spend most of my time on blacks, but I am perfectly fine on double blacks and trees), but I don't want to hop on a black or double black in Utah and realize I'm in over my head or something (it will be my first time on an actual large hill this season, so I might be a bit rusty, especially since I have a new board I'm still getting used to). Anyone with experience at Tremblant able to comment on trail rating differences?

Thanks for the help!