Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Quick Review: Kessler The Ride 158cm
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 01:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
seriouscat
Rides Caturdayz

Default Quick Review: Kessler The Ride 158cm

Disclaimer: I am in no way shape or form qualified for professional reviews. This is just a personal observation as the information on this board is nearly none existent. I had a chance to take it out for the first time this weekend, and ride it back to back in similar conditions at Fernie with the NS raptor for a comparison.

Rider Stat:

175lbs
178cm
US size 9 feet

Setup:

2013 158cm Kessler The Ride
2012 Burton Diode Medium
Flow Talon Focus
+12/-9
22" stance

Conditions:

Hardpacked, some icy places, some choppy pow to be found at places.

First Impression:

Holy camber batman, feels like a giant spring every time you step on it. Incredible stiffness. It feels very light on the feet and grabs onto edges immediately and won't let go unless you are working. I got the feeling of any sloppy form = faceplant. Definitely sketchy for first couple runs until I got familiar with it.

Base: Really fast base, I would say it's better than anything I've ever ridden. Burton/Arbor/NS/Rossignol

Edgehold: Extremely good. As soon as you get it on edge it locks onto any surface and won't let go until you put in the effort to initiate that turn. It's actually kind of forgiving in a way that even with imperfect weight stacking it doesn't tend to wash out. I felt confident in the grip in all terrain (double blacks/ steep trees etc. Ice was no problem either.

Dampness: Very similar to a raptor, both just absorbs everything.

Turning: This thing is impossible to turn unless you are at speed or putting the effort into it. Even comparing to the raptor. If you are not at least at 25mph there is no half ass turns.

That being said once it's at speed it feels incredibly agile, the board feels very very light and you feel like like you're floating. Dynamic skids also feels good once you open the throttle up. The low weight also makes for some quick jump/pivot turns. It won't do the quick swinging turn like on a RC profile though.

Carving: Felt easy with kessler as it immediately locks it in, and accelerates really violently. It feels like it wants to carve, even if the speed is not quite there. I also feel very confident with the way it acts on edge. it was great fun and I think a better carver than me would be over the moon with this thing.

Powder: Kind of untested as only a few spots had them and mostly wind blown and variable. I didn't feel any sinking though.

Conclusion: Great free riding board for the advanced rider. DO NOT GET THIS FOR THE BEGINNER DESPITE WHAT ADVERTISING MIGHT SAY. I can totally see like 15 face plants in couple hours if I started learning on this.

While I still enjoy the ride. I really feel like I am just at a level to be able to explore this board and not yet be able to take advantage of all the things it can offer. Will have to review at end of season and see how much I have improved.

The most incredible things are:

A) Edgehold, such a confidence booster.

B) Liveliness/Agility, It also doesn't have the dead feeling I've experienced on other camber/camrock boards I've tested. Agile and floaty once speed is maintained.

The UGLY:

I have never felt so tired after boarding. 4 hours and I am beat. I think this is a board I will save for steep days and when I am actively trying to improve, not for messing around with friends.

The only edge I caught today was of course off piste for some old powder, cartwheeled twice at 30mph did not feel good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(10).jpg (67.0 KB, 296 views)

Last edited by seriouscat; 01-21-2013 at 07:43 PM.
seriouscat is offline   Reply With Quote