Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - NY Times Article: Has Snowboarding Lost Its Edge?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 04:14 AM   #56 (permalink)
jojotherider

I started my daughter on skis. I figured it would be easier for her to get to a level where she could explore more of the mountain sooner than she could on a snowboard. So far, I've been right. She's able to wedge around and cruise green trails instead of just the bunny hill. My goal was to get her in the mountains and just enjoy it up there. Mission accomplished. This is her 4th season on the snow and she's only 5 1/2.

I also skied in the past and picked up a pair of hybrid camber skis this year (used market). That was mainly because I quit skiing and picked up a board right before shaped skis came out. I can still ski pretty well, but I don't have the same connection as on a board. The board is going to remain my main sliding tool for the foreseeable future.

What I think is happening is that skiing is shedding the high society image that someone mentioned earlier. So kids are able to dress how they want and ski how they want. Its no longer just about burning moguls and running gates. Remember when Johnny Moseley's trick in the Olympics caused a huge stir because he went upside down? Remember when freestyle ski jumping was more akin to gymnastics? Remember when doing tricks was just called Hot Dogging? I think the article got it wrong. Skiing isn't cool again, its just not as lame.

Also, just so everyone knows, my daughter has been asking about snowboarding. I may or may not do it this year. I would like to get her skiing blue runs before making the transition. Plus, the snowboard gear I already have for her doesn't fit yet.

-joel
jojotherider is offline   Reply With Quote