Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Are you sure ANYONE can learn?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 05:15 AM   #86 (permalink)
jojotherider

I wish someone was sitting here with me when I read the OP. I think I said out loud that you probably need to get (and keep) your weight forward. What I tell people I see struggling with that is to just keep that front knee bent. Over do it in fact. Then you'll start to see what pressing the edge into the snow really feels like. You'll also start to see what the board is designed to do and that's turn. I think the hardest things for me when I first learned was getting my weight forward and trusting the equipment.

At least now you know the problem and that's a huge thing. Eventually you'll overcome it and then the world will open up.

fwiw, I went out riding after a heavy stint at the bar and had some of the best riding of my life. Granted, I wasn't just learning, but I was having trouble on jumps because of my fear. The nice thing about boozing it up is that its easier to make bad decisions you wouldn't make sober. I didn't come up short on that jump the rest of the season. but if you're still learning, I wouldn't recommend it.
jojotherider is offline   Reply With Quote