Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Are you sure ANYONE can learn?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #87 (permalink)
BeachLegoGal

Default First day snowboarding

I just had my first-ever snowboarding experience yesterday, at Wintergreen in VA. My husband is a very good skier and he was telling me that it was one of the worst snow conditions he's ever seen..very icy. I feel very discouraged and it may not have anything to do with the ice, maybe I just suck!

I had a one hour private lesson and by the end of the lesson, I still had not strapped in both feet into the bindings. This, coupled with my husband who doesn't know how to snowboard, he was on skis trying to "teach" me for the rest of the day and I'm just so confused.

While sitting on my butt in the middle of the hill, I've heard some instructors tell their class to face the board perpendicular to the slope and face down the mountain, get up off your butt and try to go down that way and try to stop doing a heel side J turn. I heard someone else say always get up from your knees facing up the mountain and do a toe side turn to stop. I don't know what to do!

My issue is whenever I start going down, no matter which way I get up, I try to make my body lean over to the slope of the mountain and when I try to slightly raise my toes to turn and stop, nothing happens, I slide, get scared and default fall on my back, butt, wrists etc. I tried it with varying degrees from toes slightly up to way up and it all ends the same, slipping, me scared of picking up speed, not being able to stop/turn, and just falling on purpose.

In a way I'm glad my husband bought me a snowboard, because if it were a rental, I would just say forget this and give up. My upper body is sore today, with my quads just a little sore, but I'm for sure bruised and banged up. I'm glad I had wrist guards as I'm sure they would have been a lot worse. We are going to Snowshoe, WV this Friday which should be better conditions but my fear is, no matter what the snow conditions, I just can't learn to snowboard. I am new here and I'm not sure the etiquette whether this post should be on this thread or a new one so please forgive me if I'm not doing this correctly.
BeachLegoGal is offline   Reply With Quote