Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Are you sure ANYONE can learn?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #88 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLegoGal View Post
In a way I'm glad my husband bought me a snowboard, because if it were a rental, I would just say forget this and give up. My upper body is sore today, with my quads just a little sore, but I'm for sure bruised and banged up. I'm glad I had wrist guards as I'm sure they would have been a lot worse. We are going to Snowshoe, WV this Friday which should be better conditions but my fear is, no matter what the snow conditions, I just can't learn to snowboard. I am new here and I'm not sure the etiquette whether this post should be on this thread or a new one so please forgive me if I'm not doing this correctly.
Sounds like a combination of poor conditions, and the typical first day blues (make that black and blues!)... Hopefully next time you head out there's better snow, because that'll make all the difference in the world for somebody trying to learn. Ice/hardpack is not fun to be constantly falling on!

Also, I'm sure he has good intentions but the best thing I did for my GF when she learned was left her alone! She took lessons every few days out, and then she'd just go off on her own and work at her own pace. She felt I was rushing/pushing her when in my eyes I was trying to guide her down the slope the easiest way without any long traverses.

I hope you stick with it and have fun, it does get better!

There's no right or wrong way to stand up. Some (most?) people sit on their buts, stand up on their heel edge, and learn to control that edge first. Others do the same on their toe edge.

If you didn't get much from that lesson it may be worth doing a lesson at another hill. We found large differences in instructors at different hills.

Have fun!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote