Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

What is the most overrated ski resort?

10K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  WasatchMan 
#1 ·
In your opinion what is the most over-hyped, overrated ski resort?

Also if you want to get dirty and start a riot, what is the most overrated state/province?

Let's try to keep it to North America, but feel free to go abroad.

#9 ·
calling out baker

its small, slow lifts, over rated snow, no night life, no service from the lifties, tons of local dirtbags...that track out goods within minutes, usually very poor visibility and bad flat light, has 4 cross traffic areas, narrow cat tracks, long drive, lots of places and ways to die...avy, treewells, headers, cliffs...often 1 or 2 inbound fatalities per year.

#10 ·
I was going to place BAKER on the list, but I just couldn't do it. If it weren't for BAKER, snowboarding would not be what it is today, but I do have to agree on only a couple issues, first the drive and second how fast the powder gets tracked up.

Another place I want to call out is Stevens Pass, it's not the snow or terrain, it's the damn crowds, the cost and the worst operated ski resort I have ever been to. Late openings everyday, parking lot attendants are clueless and you are guaranteed that every year the price of everything is going up $2

#14 ·
Yeah, I think we're pretty honest about resorts here on SBF. As far as magazine hype, they seem to hype EVERYTHING!

Still, it's by far the best around under a 2hour drive from me.
Jay is farther than 2 hrs? Even from Ottawa I'd go to Jay before Tremblant or anything else in PQ for that matter.

I would say Sunshine is over-hyped, but I'm sure 10 people will come on and tell me I just don't know where the good parts are! Here's my problem with it.

- Closest BIG mountain to Calgary means you gotta get there early or you're parking on the road, and it's a LONG road.

- Before you can even get onto the hill, you've got to take a 20 minute gondola ride to get to the bottom. People say they like Sunshine because it's closer than Lake Louise, but by the time you park, walk, and get to the bottom of the hill it's probably about the same.

- Lots and lots of flats, boring flats. It's built in a valley, really cool views but by design it's more flat than I like to ride. Could be a fun mountain for some, not for me.

Also, I wasn't that impressed with Kicking Horse. It's got some really good parts to it, but people were talking it up like it was the best hill in the world! Not even close to others I've rode. Again, lots of flats for the amount of good steep vert you get. Long traverses to get to untracked powder.

At Fernie I can hop off the lift and be into the good stuff right away, from almost any lift. Although some people will say Fernie is over-hyped. And then I'll tell them they don't know where the good parts are... :laugh:

#13 ·
Mont. Tremblant

Lift capacity far exceeds the terrain available. Busy on a snowless Tuesday, stupid on a weekend. We try to ride until our cost drops below $5/run and rarely can do it on a weekend.

Still, it's by far the best around under a 2hour drive from me.

#29 ·
Meh, i like sunshine. If your not a slow ass you don't get stuck there. I never do... Castle is the place to be on pow days, sunshine for the rest. I got only week days...

Fernie is sick as well and revelstoke.

LL isnt that good, kicking horse isnt that good, nakiska and norqway arent that good and cop just blows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.