Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Share your Garmin Data Please

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  poutanen 
#1 · (Edited)
I would like to know what other resorts are look like. Other than Snow and Trees, and had lots of fun, it is really hard to compare one place to another. I think the easiest way would be to actually look at the chairlift times, and elevation and temperature so I can plan my next trip. Everyone is going to ride at different speeds and style, but the lifts follow the mountain. Flat maps and routes don't do much for me or am I the only dork that tried carrying my bike computer while snowboarding. The temperature in my inside pocket of my shell.
Here is 1/19/2013. It got a little crowded at 2:00 so I left.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/263830452

#2 · (Edited)
I GPS track every day I'm on the hill, give myself total distance goals for the year, for each day, etc! It's a fun way to push yourself... Here's a recent day of mine at Fernie. you might be able to browse my other days from there.

Day 11 - Fernie Virus POWDER!!! by apoutanen at Garmin Connect - Details

My goals for this year:

- 1500 km on the snow (remove about 1/3 of that for lifts if you want to get technical)
- a 100 km+ day, my previous best is 82 km or so
- a 10,000 vertical meter day, previous best is around 8000

edit: one thing you can see if you look back to when I was using a phone, is how much more accurate the Forerunner watch is compared to any phone I used as a tracklogger. It also looks like the bike computer cuts corners a lot, I got my watch on sale as so far so good! :D

#3 ·
Sorry, I have a Motorola Motoactv, and don't know how to export the data. I just came back from Jackson Hole and Grand Targhee and I used the GPS workout tracker the whole time, plus monitored heart rate. I did hit 163 bpm, but that was when I got to 47 mph, which for me was flying apart at the seems.

#4 ·
Any device that can export a GPX file can upload to Garmin Connect. Often a device will prompt what type of file format you want to use when you save it on your device. Select GPX.

Right now I'm using a Samsung Android phone running My Tracks. I save the file in a GPX format, come home, load it onto my computer and then upload it to Garmin Connect. The only issue I am having is my Max Speed on the phone vs. Max Speed under Details on Garmin Connect. On My Tracks on my phone my Max Speed is usually around 60 km/hr. When I dump it over to Garmin, it shows a Max Speed of 206 km/hr. ( in my dreams :yahoo: ) even though nothing close to that speed is displayed on the Garmin Speed Chart. Going to email Garmin about that.

Poutanen, I would share my tracks, but I think you will find tracks from Mt. St. Louis Moonstone less than thrilling. ;)

#5 ·
Poutanen, I would share my tracks, but I think you will find tracks from Mt. St. Louis Moonstone less than thrilling. ;)
Lol, no worries it's all fun. I spent a lot of time at MSLM back in the old days!

You using trekbuddy to tracklog, or another app? I used to use trekbuddy on a Nokia, and my GF uses it on her Android based phone. I always had some crazy max speed listed on garmin connect (one time I was doing 815 km/h!!!) even though the graph would usually peak in the 60-80 km/h range.

So far I find the Garmin watch to be far more accurate, it actually seems to capture some of my carves instead of just following a nearly direct line down the slopes.

At the end of the day accuracy doesn't matter that much, as I think most GPS users are just using it to sort of compete against themselves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.