Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - What is the most overrated ski resort?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafta View Post
This conversation hinges on whether we are talking about hype created by resort marketing or by customers, here on sbf and elsewhere.
Yeah, I think we're pretty honest about resorts here on SBF. As far as magazine hype, they seem to hype EVERYTHING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Still, it's by far the best around under a 2hour drive from me.
Jay is farther than 2 hrs? Even from Ottawa I'd go to Jay before Tremblant or anything else in PQ for that matter.

I would say Sunshine is over-hyped, but I'm sure 10 people will come on and tell me I just don't know where the good parts are! Here's my problem with it.

- Closest BIG mountain to Calgary means you gotta get there early or you're parking on the road, and it's a LONG road.

- Before you can even get onto the hill, you've got to take a 20 minute gondola ride to get to the bottom. People say they like Sunshine because it's closer than Lake Louise, but by the time you park, walk, and get to the bottom of the hill it's probably about the same.

- Lots and lots of flats, boring flats. It's built in a valley, really cool views but by design it's more flat than I like to ride. Could be a fun mountain for some, not for me.

Also, I wasn't that impressed with Kicking Horse. It's got some really good parts to it, but people were talking it up like it was the best hill in the world! Not even close to others I've rode. Again, lots of flats for the amount of good steep vert you get. Long traverses to get to untracked powder.

At Fernie I can hop off the lift and be into the good stuff right away, from almost any lift. Although some people will say Fernie is over-hyped. And then I'll tell them they don't know where the good parts are...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote